Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Resources which helped...

The Compassionate Friends is a world-wide association of volunteers who have lost children. They will sit and listen to you, or share their story. They have all been through what you are going through, and they ask nothing of you in return.

It was very helpful for me to speak with local members of TCF. One lady lost her daughter at about the same time as I lost my son. We went through similar stages of grief, and it was good to be able to talk to someone with the same perspective. A couple of ladies from another town, who had lost their children years earlier, spent some time with us as well and shared their feelings and experiences. Only someone who has been through the same thing can really understand how you feel, what is going on inside you, why you may be living so differently than you did before. One lady, who had lost two children decades ago, told me that you never go back to "normal", that your normal is how you feel today.

Talking to people who had been through the same thing helped me to realize that I wasn't going crazy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont think for one moment that you were going crazy. It was normal for you to feel that way. You lost your son whom you loved dearly and thats a mother's love to grieve.

CarolW44 said...

Grief is something I didn't understand before I went through it, and maybe no-one does.